Rain barrels are a wonderful way to catch and reuse usable rain water, especially in water-rich New Orleans. Rebecca and Bryan recently taught a workshop at the Green Project all about how to create your own! Read below for details about why rain barrels are important, the tools and materials needed to make one, and links to awesome instructional resources.
WHY USE A RAIN BARREL?
Using a rain barrel catchment system can save money on your water bill when tending your garden, reclaims water that would otherwise end up down the storm drain, and offers a source of water for boiling and flushing toilets when power systems are down.
- 55-gal. barrel with lid (food grade only!)
- 1/2-3/4″ hose bib (or sillcock valve)
- Gasket & nut (like for a faucet)
- Screen & bungee cord
- Pipe sealant
- Silicone caulk
- paddle bit or hole saw
- DIY Rain Barrel Build – Vertical 4 Stack 55-Gallon Drum Rainwater Harvesting System
- Instructables: DIY Rain Barrel
- 10 Easy Ways to Build Your Own Rain Barrel
- How to Build a Rain Barrel
- DIY Rain Barrel Ideas
- Rain Collection Tutorials